Although, one might argue that the Pacific Northwest completely skipped fall and jumped right into winter, but that’s an argument for another time.
With fall comes change. Abrupt change. Leaves change colors and fall. The days get shorter. Light is scarce. Everything outside is wet and cold.
And if you’re one out of many people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), fall tends to hit hard.
What if fall didn’t have to be so humdrum? What if there was a way to frame things–to change your perspective–so that fall wasn’t so damn harsh and actually supplied you with all the warmth and wonder that you need to thrive?
Please welcome to the stage the Danish concept called Hygge.
The feeling of coziness and contentment evoked by simple comforts, as being wrapped in a blanket, having good conversations, enjoying food, etc.
In 2016, “hygge” made waves by being on the shortlist for The Oxford Dictionary’s Word of the Year. Unfortunately, hygge lost out to “post-truth” but the impact was made and more and more people started researching and adopting a hygge lifestyle. The graph below, from Google Trends, shows how the word “hygge” grew in interest from 2014 – 2022.
This speaks volumes. The people, they want the hygge. And it’s so fucking awesome. Let us tell you why.
What is Hygge?
There is no direct English translation of hygge, but the closest words are “cozy” and “comfort”. Hygge is all about embracing life’s simple pleasures; what makes you feel good, creating feelings of elation and happiness, being friendly and purposeful, encouraging your wellbeing, living your best life.
That might sound all hippy dippy to you, but don’t let that discourage you. The core of hygge is all about doing what makes you feel physically and mentally cozy. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?
Ways to Hygge
There are so many ways to adopt a hygge lifestyle. What works for one person might not work for another. It’s time to get in tune with what makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Here are some of our favorite examples of ways to hygge your life.
- Turn all distractions off. No phone, no TV, no music. Just be.
- Don your favorite fuzzy socks, put on those two-sizes-too-big sweatpants, wrap yourself in a weighted blanket, sit in front of a fire, and simply relax.
- Surround yourself with like-minded friends and family. Talk about guilty pleasures or how you discovered your favorite food.
- Bake bread. The smell will be transcendent.
- Don’t deprive yourself. Eat the damn cake already or order whipped cream on your mocha. Yes, it’s important that we treat our bodies well so they serve us loyally for many years to come, but never deprive yourself of something that will help feed and fuel your cozy soul.
- Go outside and embrace the weather. Take in the biggest lungfuls of fresh air, jump in puddles, hunt for mushrooms, take notice of how amazing Mother Nature is.
- Decorate a room with beautiful items from outside. Pinecones, giant maple leaves, fallen branches. Whatever makes sense for you and your space.
- Take a super long bath. Don’t be afraid to refresh the hot water.
- Call your Grandma and tell her how amazing she is.
- Take a stroll and notice all the different types of trees you see.
- Pet an animal. Notice the pattern of their fur (or scales, or feathers) under your hand. Tell them they are the goodest boy/girl on the planet.
- Enhance your comfort by pairing any of the above with nature’s finest cannabinoids. (More on that below.)
Cannabis + Hygge
No shock here, cannabis pairs extraordinarily well with a hygge lifestyle. Think of all hygge type activities – damn near each and every one of them would be enhanced exponentially by the addition of cannabis. Cannabis is the perfect stepping stone to allowing yourself to embrace simple pleasures.
When choosing cannabis to enhance your hygge activities, you’ll want to pay close attention to terpenes. For most in-house activities, we recommend a nice heavy indica with myrcene and linalool. Looking to take a mental journey? A cerebral sativa with pinene or limonene is the way to go.
We’d like to introduce you to our latest vendor, Hygge Farms. Hygge Farms was started to share the wonderful concept of hygge while offering meticulously grown products. Here are some of our favorite Hygge Farms products.
A potent hybrid strain that delivers heavy-handed euphoria and relaxation, leaving you glued to the couch.
Glacier OG is reported to have a spicy, sweet, earthy flavor profile and frosty trichome-crusted buds that give it its icy name.
Super Silver Haze x Super Lemon Haze. With a delightful flavor profile of lemon and cherry with crisp citrus overtones, Limoncella leaves consumers feeling mellow and relaxed.
Reframe Your Perspective
Earlier we mentioned that Fall can be harsh. “With Fall comes change. Abrupt change. Leaves change colors and fall. The days get shorter. Light is scarce. Everything outside is wet and cold.” With a hygge lifestyle, all you have to do is reframe your perspective so you’re able to appreciate and welcome all of the changes.
- The leaves change colors and fall because they need to feed and blanket the earth below to promote healing and space for flora and fauna to thrive.
- The days get shorter so everyone and everything has ample time to catch up on rest and relaxation.
- Light is scarce so we have more time to de-stress, reflect, and practice mindfulness.
- Everything outside is wet and cold so we can cozy up inside, take care of ourselves, and find ultimate comfort.
By adopting a hygge lifestyle ordinary moments will start to feel more special, purposeful, and powerful. The meaning of life gains more answers. You will start embracing the little things that you’re meant to appreciate. It’s the hygge way.